Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Getting around, the office, and PHP

This time change business is killing me.  I don't know how people who travel all the time do it.  I'm looking forward to a full night's sleep because so far, it hasn't happened.  It's really starting to affect my mood... And I'll have to readjust again in a month or so when we switch back to working nights.  *sigh*

Anyway, I have been wanting to blog about the office here.  First thing is getting there- we have a driver since driving here is a lot different than it is in the U.S.  He picks us up in a van with dark windows.  It kind of makes me feel like we are celebrities or politicians. 

The office is in a big building where the first 3 (?) floors are more of a mall - there's restaurants and shopping.  Concur is on the 7th floor, and security is tight.  There's a security person who stands guard at each entrance, but they seem to be more like doormen (or women) because they always get the door for you.  It's quite nice :)  There are the typical office rooms - a conference room, training rooms and then the production floor where there are tons of little cubicles.  What is odd is that there are sleeping quarters with a couple of bunk beds.  What's that for??  Last I knew, sleeping on the job is frowned upon!  At this point though, I really could use a nap around 3pm.  Do I dare sneak one in?  Haha!

The other odd thing is the restrooms.  Here they are called comfort rooms, or CR for short.  For some reason, toilet paper is not standard in restrooms, there isn't a toilet paper dispenser in any of the stalls for the men's or women's bathroom.  Also, there are signs on the inside of the stalls advising people not to stand on the toilet rim... hmmm...

Also, there is a pool table in the breakroom.  Fun!

Monday is a Filipino holiday for the Chinese New Year.  This is just one of many holidays this country has.  I'm told that since I'm a US employee that I really should still work.  I'll work from home, but what will I do on my lunch if I can't walk my dogs?  :-(  I miss them so much!

That's all I've got today.  I had a pedicure today for PHP350, which is about $8.50.  I could get used to that and the $15 massages, that's for sure!

Speaking of money, here is what the paper money looks like.  I think this was about 1720 Philippine pesos, which is around $40 US.

2 comments:

  1. I'll be curious to see more pricing differentials, Angie. Please keep updating the prices of goods and services there!

    ReplyDelete