Saturday, January 14, 2012

First full day in Manila

My flight from HNL to MNL was uneventful.  I was seated next to a fellow vegetarian (vegan actually) who was kind enough to share some of his food with me - how nice!

Upon landing in Manila, immigration and customs was a breeze - I was a little worried, but really didn't need to be.  Amazingly enough, all 6 of my checked bags arrived with my flight - awesome!  Only bad thing was that someone stole one of my purses from an outside pocket of a suitcase.  Rat bastards.  Oh well, guess that gives me an excuse to get a new one!

My company (Concur) set up a ride for me from the airport to where I'm staying - the Joya (pronounced "hoya") Lofts and Towers in a gated community called Rockwell.  Since it was dark when I arrived, I couldn't see a whole lot in the way of what it's like outside my little world in Rockwell, but I'm definitely "not in Kansas anymore."  The way they drive here is crazy!  They use their horns a LOT more than we do in the US and there are all these open air buses.  Actually I think I would be ok driving here... ;-)

I'm on the seventh floor and the condo is actually really nice!  High ceilings, modern furniture, cable, internet and hot water, but only in the bathroom right now.  Apparently you have to request a hot water heater for the bathroom and kitchen separately, it's not like in the US where you have a water heater for the entire unit.  Instead, there are electric water heaters installed in a cabinet for each sink/shower.  The bed is kind of hard, but so far that's been ok...  I haven't been able to get a good sleep yet though.

There is a mall right across the street, it's basically my view.  It's called the Power Plant mall, and it has a lot of high end familiar stores and also includes a grocery store, bank(s) and a True Value.  There is also a cinema, and it seems like they are a little behind on what's showing because Sherlock Holmes is advertised.

I had an orientation of the building and surrounding area where I was introduced to the spa.  I'll definitely be spoiled there - it's about $16 for a massage.  YES!!  Back to once a week massages for this girl!  There is also a salon, but after reviewing the price list, I found the cost to get my hair done is around the same as it is at the salon I go to in California.

The internet here is a little iffy, I tried using Hot Spot shield so that I can watch US streaming TV, but it reeeeally slowed down the internet and I haven't been able to watch any of my shows.  Bummer.  I browsed through the cable channels though and I don't think I'll have a problem finding something to watch.  Yesterday I was watching a game show channel and they advertised last season's Survivor - so I'm guessing they are at least a season behind on most shows...?  There's always the Spanish novellas!  lol

Something I've noticed - the looks I get.  I mean, I'm used to being looked at, but they really stare.  Men and women, but especially the men.  I guess I must look exotic to them.


No comments:

Post a Comment