Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Random bits of information about things in the Philippines

Sunshine:
You'd think that since the Philippines are tropical islands, the sun would make an appearance every day.  That is not the case.  At least not in the city and not this time of year.  So far, it's been cloudy much of the time I've been here.  When the sun is out, I try to go soak up a few minutes of it to keep the blues away.  (Just close my eyes and imagine sunny SoCal :)
People here are not sun-seekers like people in the US.  When the sun is out, everyone is huddled in the shade, or if they can't avoid it, many use an umbrella.  I have been told that lighter skin is thought to be more attractive and many people go to great lengths to lighten their skin. 

Cars:
I pay attention to these... it's just how I was raised :)
There's lots of Toyota on the road here, the small 4 door style is most common for taxis of course, but also for many commuters.  But today, I spotted a Mini - I figured I would see more of those here.  BMWs are not rare, but that was the first Mini I've seen.  I also saw one of those new Ford Fiestas this morning.  Both vehicles seemed somewhat out of place here.  Full size pick up trucks are also rare in Manila, I've only seen a few of them.  SUVs, however, are just as popular as the 4 door sedans and vans.

About the services here:
Over the weekend, I had another hair appointment.  On Michele's referral, I went to Bruno's Barbers for a color and hair cut.  I was dubious about going to a barbershop for a woman's cut and color, but Michele's hair turned out good, so I figured what the hell.  I'm glad I gave it a try, the result is as close to what I wanted as I could get.  (They didn't have the highlight color I wanted...)  I paid around $50 total, which is really very good!
Guys - if you come to Manila, I highly recommend a visit here.  For 850PHP (or around $20), you can get a haircut, professional shave (warm towel on the face and straight razor), manicure and pedicure.  This includes a hands/feet/shoulders massage.  It looked like a very relaxing service, and it was definitely popular - I was there for about 2 hours and I saw a few men get the service.

I wonder when Yelp will make it to the Philippines...? 

That is all.

No comments:

Post a Comment